Thursday, May 19, 2011

Amazing Progress

I haven't been good about writing updates. There just really hasn't been much news to report...until now!


Wednesday when I was sitting in the lobby of the therapy office, the receptionist called my name and told me Hailey's Occupational Therapist wanted to see me in the back. Hmmm...is that a good thing, or a bad thing?! I gathered all my ribbon and materials I was working with and went into the therapy room. Her therapist then informed me she was having a hard time finding something to do with Hailey that was hard for her to do. She said even the things Hailey didn't know how to do when they first would do it, by a couple of times of trying it, she would be able to execute it with ease. The therapist said it shouldn't be hard for her to find things to do with the patient and when it is, that usually means its time to discharge the patient!! So, she is going to see Hailey on Monday and Tuesday of next week where they will concentrate on holding a pencil the correct way, this is the only thing Hailey resorts to "fisting" normally. Sometimes she'll hold it the proper way, and transitioning from toddler fisting to holding it correctly is age appropriate, sooo...Tuesday will be Hailey's LAST DAY of Occupational Therapy! Hooray for Hailey making great progress!!


Hailey's Physical Therapist tested her today to see where Hailey's strength was and to see if she would still need to see her. My husband went to therapy with Hailey today. He told me that the therapist said Hailey is making great progress but she still sees a weakness in her left leg. She stumbles some with that leg so for now, she will still be seeing Hailey twice a week. She said she has her scheduled for another month, but it might only be a couple of weeks. We will see. Whatever Hailey needs we'll do!


Tomorrow Hailey has a follow up appointment with her pediatrician for a recheck on everything. I am sure he will be testing her reflexes as they were still very weak when we saw him last, which was only a few days out of the hospital. I am going to ask about her nerve blocker medication, how much longer he thinks she'll require it. Dave and I both feel like she probably doesn't need it anymore and she never says anything is bothering her, however, maybe that's because she is on the medication. We'll see what the doctor says. I got a letter from our insurance company, I'll bring it with to the drs, that says we have to fill that particular medication in 90 day supplies because its a long term labeled medication. If we do fill it again in a 30 day supply we'll be subjected to a higher copay. Of course the letter doesn't state what that amount would be.


Hailey has made amazing progress this past month since being discharged from the hospital! She has started back in preschool one day a week. She has her end of the year picnic for that next week. She also started back in her ballet classes and has a dress rehearsal and then her recital next weekend at the Maryland Theatre! She is so excited (so am I!)! It amazes me how she has fit right back into her normal life. We have been blessed by the pace of her recovery!


Two weekends ago, after vowing to do more things as a family, we took a day trip to Gettysburg, PA to visit "The Land of Little Horses". It's the most beautiful petting farm you will find! We all had a blast (even the older boys who aren't as in love with horses as Hailey is)! I'll end this post with a couple of pictures!












No comments:

Post a Comment